MOLDINGS ADD TEXTURE AND INTEREST TO YOUR HOME
Moldings come in many shapes, sizes and finishes. They can consist of one simple layer or several stacked layers to add embellishment. Traditionally moldings have been made of wood but today they’re often constructed from materials that are more durable and budget friendly.
Molding usually works best when it complements the design of your home. A Victorian home, for example, may have heavily ornamented moldings, while a modern home has squared, simple moldings or no moldings at all.
We tend to think of moldings in white or off-white colors, with walls painted a different shade. However, light colored walls with dark molding can be a dramatic choice too!
IDEAS FOR WINDOWS AND DOORS
Just consider your options:
- Casing around the entire window frame
- An apron on the bottom
- A pediment on the top
- A decorative or fluted design on the sides
Doors, both exterior and interior:
- Casing around the sides and/or tops
- Raised paneling on the door itself
IDEAS FOR WALLS AND CEILINGS
- Baseboards at floor level
- Crown molding at ceiling level
- Raised paneling, possibly with wall coverings or mirrors in insets
- Wainscoting and picture rails, with the choice of different paints or wall coverings above and below
- Paneling around a fireplace or built-in shelving
- Wall paneling behind a bed instead of a headboard
- Stepped paneling going up a stairway
- Around chandeliers in the dining room or foyer
Consider adding decorative moldings to shape your décor!